I’m going to come out and say it.
I’m a crap cook.
I can get by. I know how to bake, grill, pan fry. It is all possible.
However, I just seem to forget I’ve got something cooking.
And what happens more often than I’d like is an epic meal fail.
Ending either in take out or toast for dinner.
Only last week I left boiled potatoes unattended.
They ended up being smoked potatoes.
As in all the water evaporated and the layer of potatoes on the bottom of the pot burnt. And the smoke permeated the rest of the potatoes layered on top.
Surprisingly tasty in a mash…
I’m absolutely certain these meal fails are all borne of laziness with an added dash of distraction.
Like: “I’m going to boil these potatoes to within an inch of their lives so they are easier to mash.”
Ending in: “I boiled these potatoes to death. Smoky, charred death. And now I will still mash them because I don’t want to start again.”
Masterchef is here, with its Fig and Walnut bread and chicken on a cans and all the rest.
And the only thing I seem to be able to manage in the kitchen without completely stuffing it up is oven food.
And Sausage Pasta Bake.
You heard me.
Sausage Pasta Bake is my specialty.
It involves nothing more than 6 sausages, whatever veggies are left over, pasta, pasta sauce and cheese.
White sauce if you’re getting fancy – or have learnt how to make it in the microwave like I have.
I told you.
I’m so lazy I don’t even have a picture of a finished pasta bake to show you.
But I did manage to take a photo of all the ingredients while I was cooking them!
I’m awesome like that…
I guess while I’m sorting out that I’m not a craft blogger, I may as well admit:
This is why I’m not a food blogger.
For those who’d like to know:
Sausages (I find 6 are enough to feed our family of 5)
500g pasta (penne or twists are the best for this, I find)
750g pasta sauce (I use homebrand – it really is the best one!)
Veggies (I usually have an onion, capsicum and a zuchinni on hand, but ANYTHING goes)
Basil/Italian herbs (I usually just use the dried Italian Herbs mix, but had some fresh basil left over so used that instead).
Garlic (if you have it)
White sauce and cheese to top.
1. Dice onion (or chop randomly as I am wont to do)
2. Fry off with some garlic if you have it.
3. Using some kitchen scissors (like I said, lazy) to chop the sausages into little pieces, straight into the pan.
5. Throw in your chopped veggies.
6. Cook down a little (but not heaps, because it’s going in the oven soon).
7. Pour in the pasta sauce ( I always do the swirl of water to get the last of the sauce out of the jar!)
8. Cook down for a while (maybe 10-15 minutes?)
9. Cook pasta as per instructions.
10. Turn off the heat, pour in drained pasta and mix.
11. Pour into casserole/lasagne dish.
12. Top with white sauce (if you can be bothered) and cheese.
13. Cook in oven at 180°C for 20-30 minutes or until cheese is golden brown.
14. Eat it.
What’s your no fail recipe? Or are you a Masterchef in the making?